Super Fluffy Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes made in less than 30 minutes with simple ingredients. They are sweet, light, pillowy, and easy to make. Perfect for quick weekend breakfast or brunch. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup. Dairy-free, egg-free.
THESE CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES ARE
- naturally sweetened with maple syrup
- quick and easy to make
- made with simple ingredients
- loaded with chocolate chips
- perfect weekend breakfast or brunch
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES
You need the following ingredients to make these Chocolate Chip Pancakes (the exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Unsweetened almond milk – Use any plant-based milk, such as oat, soy, or cashew. It should have room temperature.
- Apple cider vinegar – In combination with almond milk, it creates vegan buttermilk. Plus, it activates baking soda and makes the pancakes super fluffy. You can substitute for lemon juice.
- Maple syrup – perfect sweetener for pancakes. Use organic maple syrup.
- Sunflower oil – you can also use canola oil, melted coconut oil, or olive oil. If you have a non-stick pan, you can skip oil for frying and make a healthier version.
- All-purpose flour – makes pancakes super light. For healthier pancakes, use wholewheat flour. For a gluten-free version, use a gluten-free 1:1 flour blend.
- Baking powder and baking soda – Leavening agents that help to raise the batter.
- Sea salt – balances the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips – use good-quality vegan chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
Equipment you need:
- Medium size bowl
- Small or medium size pan with lid – ideally non-stick
- Large ice cream scoop or 1/3 measuring cup (or small ladle)
HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making these Chocolate Chip Pancakes is super easy and comes with 4 following steps:
1. Step: Mix wet ingredients
To unsweetened almond milk, add apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice), maple syrup, and sunflower oil. Mix and set aside.
2. Step: Mix dry ingredients
To a medium-size bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of sea salt, and mix with a whisk.
3. Step: Combine wet and dry ingredients
To the dry ingredients, pour the almond milk mixture. Mix with the whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter (to avoid gummy pancakes). Fold in chocolate chips, then let rest the batter for 5-10 minutes.
4. Step: Cook the pancakes and serve
Heat a pan (ideally non-stick) on medium heat and add about 1 tsp of oil (or spray a thin layer of oil). With a large ice cream scoop or 1/3 measuring cup, pour batter onto a heated pan (cook 1 to 2 pancakes at a time). Cover with lid and let cook until the surface of pancakes has some bubbles and the edges are dry (about 2-3 minutes). Carefully flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. If it’s cooking too fast, lower the heat.
Transfer the pancakes to a plate, and repeat the process with the remaining batter, lightly oiling the pan between each pancake.
Serve immediately with maple syrup and fresh fruit.
PANCAKES TOPPING IDEAS:
- maple syrup
- vegan butter
- fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, …)
- chopped nuts
- nut butter, tahini
- melted chocolate
- vegan yogurt or sour cream
- whipped coconut cream
- fruit jam
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
CAN I MAKE PANCAKE BATTER THE NIGHT BEFORE?
Yes, you can make the pancake batter the night before. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day. However, the pancakes may be less fluffy because the leavening agents will get less effective the longer the batter is stored.
CAN I MAKE THE PANCAKES GLUTEN-FREE?
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free 1:1 baking flour.
CAN I STORE LEFTOVER PANCAKES?
Yes! First, make sure the pancakes cooled down completely. Store them in a plastic zip-lock bag in the fridge for up to 3 days. Then reheat in a microwave or on the pan for few minutes (on each side).
CAN I FREEZE PANCAKES?
For sure! You can freeze the pancakes for up to 3 months. Let them cool completely, and store them in a plastic zip-lock bag or an airtight container. To defrost them, bake in preheated oven at 350°C (180°C) for 5-10 minutes, or microwave for about 1 minute.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:
- Cinnamon French Toast
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Maple Pecan Granola
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Overnight Oats
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below, as well as giving a rating so that others may find this recipe. Also, share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
FLUFFY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES
- ¾ cup (180ml) unsweetened almond milk, room temperature , (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, (or lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, + extra for serving
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, (or any oil) + extra for frying
- 140 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup (50g) vegan chocolate chips , (or chocolate chunks)
- To unsweetened almond milk, add apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and sunflower oil. Mix and set aside.
- To a medium-size bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of sea salt, and mix with a whisk.
- To the dry ingredients, pour the almond milk mixture. Mix with the whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter. Fold in chocolate chips, then let rest the batter for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add about 1 tsp of oil (or spray a thin layer of oil). With a large ice cream scoop or 1/3 measuring cup, pour batter onto a heated pan (cook 1 to 2 pancakes at a time). Cover with lid and let cook until the surface of pancakes has some bubbles and the edges are dry (about 2-3 minutes). Carefully flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. If it's cooking too fast, lower the heat.
- Transfer the pancakes to a plate, and repeat the process with the remaining batter, lightly oiling the pan between each pancake.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup and fresh fruit.
Serving: 1 pancake / Calories: 195kcal / Total Fat: 8,3g / Saturated Fat: 2,4g / Cholesterol: 0mg / Total Carbohydrate: 26,7g / Fiber: 1,5g / Sugar: 7,1g / Protein: 3,0g / Sodium: 617mg / Iron: 1,6mg
* Nutritional Facts are calculated without any toppings.