This Vegan Cinnamon French Toast is the perfect weekend breakfast or brunch. It’s sweet, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and golden-brown. Made with chickpea flour, flax meal, and almond milk. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and spiced with cinnamon. And it’s made in less than 30 minutes!
THIS CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST IS:
- crispy on the outside
- soft on the inside
- golden brown
- naturally sweetened
- made in less than 30 minutes
- perfect for breakfast or brunch
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE VEGAN CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST:
You need the following ingredients to make this Vegan Cinnamon French Toast (the exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Chickpea flour – Acts as an egg replacer.
- Flaxseed meal – Helps to thicken the batter.
- Ground cinnamon – Adds warm flavor.
- Baking powder – A leavening agent that makes the batter fluffier.
- Sea salt – If you want your french toast to taste eggier, use black salt (kala namak).
- Unsweetened almond milk – Use any plant-based milk of your choice, such as oat, soy, cashew, or coconut.
- Maple syrup – You can also use agave syrup.
- Old bread – Make sure the bread is at least 1 day old. Use more sturdy bread so it won’t turn soggy. I like to use wholewheat bread or sourdough bread.
- Vegan butter for frying – You can substitute for vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- Favorite toppings – You can read some topping ideas below*.
Equipment you need:
- Deep plate – For the batter. It should be large enough to hold a slice of bread.
- Pan – For frying the french toast.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this French Toast is super easy and comes with only 3 simple steps:
1. Step: Make the batter
In a deep plate, combine chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Add unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup and whisk until combine.
2. Step: Let the batter rest
Let the batter rest for 10 minutes (so the flaxseeds can thicken).
3. Step: Dip the bread into the batter and fry it on a pan
Add vegan butter to a pan over medium heat and let it melt.
Dip each slice of bread in the batter and let it soak for about 20 seconds on each side.
Add the bread to the pan and cook on each side until golden brown and crispy. Repeat the process with the remaining bread (don’t forget to add vegan butter each time).
Serve it immediately with your favorite topping and drizzled with maple syrup.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
HOW TO SERVE FRENCH TOAST:
*You can serve your french toast with:
- maple syrup
- vegan butter
- coconut whipped cream
- vegan sour cream
- vegan yogurt
- fresh or frozen fruit such as blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, or bananas
- homemade Nutella
- any nut butter
- Lotus Biscoff Spread
- powdered sugar
CAN YOU MAKE FRENCH TOAST BATTER AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can make this batter ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for 1-2 days. You may need to add a bit of plant-milk to thin the batter.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- Creamy Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Chunks Pretzel Skillet Cookie
- Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- Tofu Scramble
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
VEGAN CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
- 60 g chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal , (ground flaxseed)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt*
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened almond milk , (use any plant-based milk)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup , (+extra for drizzle)
- 6-8 slices bread , (at least one day old)
- vegan butter (or oil) for frying
- favorite toppings
- In a deep plate, combine chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Add unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup and whisk until combine. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Add vegan butter to a pan over medium heat and let it melt. Dip each slice of bread in the batter and let it soak for about 20 seconds on each side. Add the bread to the pan and cook on each side until golden brown. Repeat the process with the remaining bread.
- Serve it immediately with your favorite topping and drizzled with maple syrup.
Serving: 3-4 slices / Calories: 571kcal / Total Fat: 15,8g / Saturated Fat: 4,0g / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 170mg / Total Carbohydrate: 89g / Fiber: 12,0g / Sugar: 27,2g / Protein: 16,1g / Iron: 1,9mg / Calcium: 239mg / Potassium: 377mg
*The nutrition facts are calculated without any toppings.