This Roasted Pumpkin Soup is a perfect recipe for cold autumn and winter days. It is super creamy, flavorful, and easy to make. It’ll become your new favorite soup.
EASY CREAMY ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP:
You’ll need only 10 simple ingredients that you may already have on hand, to make this delicious creamy roasted pumpkin soup. And apart from the roasting, it only takes a few minutes to prepare it.
I don’t know about you, but once the autumn season starts, I want to cook and bake almost everything with pumpkin, and this creamy roasted pumpkin soup is one of the best autumnal recipes. I make it all the time because it’s just so yummy. Seriously, there is nothing better than a big bowl of creamy pumpkin soup on a cold day. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
What I like about this recipe is that you don’t need any cream because the pumpkin is naturally creamy and thick, which makes the recipe simpler. Another great thing is that you can make the pumpkin soup ahead, keep it in the fridge, and enjoy it for the next few days.
BENEFITS OF PUMPKIN SOUP
Besides the fact that it’s such a delicious and comforting soup, pumpkin has many health benefits. It’s rich in vitamins such as vitamin A or C, it also provides calcium or potassium, and it’s rich in fiber.
THIS CREAMY ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP IS:
- made without cream
- easy to make
- so delicious
- perfect autumn/winter soup
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CREAMY ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP:
You need the following ingredients to make this Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup:
- orange Hokkaido pumpkin (or red kuri squash) – I love using Hokkaido pumpkin in many recipes because it’s sweet and has a super creamy consistency. You don’t need to peel the skin, because it softens during roasting. However, if you will use another type of sweet pumpkin with the tough outer skin, you may need to peel it off before baking.
- Yellow onion – This adds a little bit of sharp flavor to the pumpkin soup.
- Fresh Garlic – To add more depth of flavor. Onion and garlic are secrets ingredients that add extra flavor, don’t skip them.
- Olive oil – I prefer to use olive oil for roasting vegetables because it adds a nice flavor, but feel free to use another oil.
- Black Pepper – Which adds a little dash of heat to the pumpkin soup.
- Marjoram – This herb adds savory flavor. You can use thyme or oregano instead.
- Sea salt – It’s a savory dish after all.
- Vegetable broth – Use homemade vegetable broth or made some from vegetable bouillon cubes or powder mixed with boiled water. Broth makes the pumpkin soup tastier, but you can use boiled water as well.
- Nutritional yeast – This is an optional addition, but I came to the point where I add nutritional yeast to almost everything, and I think it works so well with this soup.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice will balance the sweet pumpkin flavor.
- Favorite toppings – I used oat cream (you can also use soy, rice, or coconut cream), chopped parsley (fresh or frozen), and pumpkin seeds. Homemade croutons are great as well with this soup.
Equipment you need:
- Baking pan
- Parchment paper
- High-speed blender – I recommend using a high-speed blender since it makes the pumpkin soup super smooth and blends the skin really well. Still, you can use a hand blender. Just add the roasted pumpkin and vegetable to the pot, add the rest ingredients, boil for about 5 minutes, let cool slightly, and then blend until completely smooth.
- Larger pot
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CREAMY ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup is easy and comes with 5 simple steps:
1. Step: Preheat the oven and prepare the baking pan
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Step: Prepare pumpkin, onion, garlic
Cut the top of the pumpkin and then carefully halve the pumpkin (if you don’t use Hokkaido pumpkin or you don’t have a high-speed blender, you may need to peel off the skin because it can be harsh and not as easy to blend). Hallow out all the seeds using a spoon (if you feel extra, keep the seeds and roast them for the topping). Slice the pumpkin, cut into larger cubes, and place them onto the baking pan.
Peel the yellow onion and cut it into quarters. Peel 3 cloves of garlic. Place cut onion and peeled garlic to the pan with pumpkin and drizzle with olive oil. Then season with black pepper and marjoram. Toss everything until it’s all coated.
3. Step: Roast in the oven
Roast for about 35 minutes in the preheated oven until the pumpkin is soft. The baking time will differ depending on how big cubes of pumpkin you cut. If you use another type of pumpkin or squash, it may need more time to soften.
4. Step: Blend everything into a soup
Remove the pan from the oven and put the roasted pumpkin, onion, and garlic into a blender (if using a plastic blender, let it cool slightly). Add vegetable broth, lemon juice, sea salt, and nutritional yeast. Blend until it’s smooth and creamy. It may take only a few minutes, depending on the blender you are using. If needed, add more vegetable broth or boiled water. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if necessary.
5. Step: Heat the soup
Pour the soup into a pot, bring to boil, and simmer for about 5 minutes to combine the flavors.
Serve with your favorite toppings/garnish and enjoy!
HOW TO GARNISH PUMPKIN SOUP
Serve with a swirl of vegan cream (I like to use oat or soy cream because it neutral in flavor, but you can use coconut cream as well). Garnish the pumpkin soup with chopped fresh parsley or chives, and pumpkin seeds – if you feel a little extra, use roasted pumpkin seeds. It also goes well with homemade croutons, a slice of fresh bread, or a baguette.
HOW LONG DOES PUMPKIN SOUP LAST IN FRIDGE?
Store your cooled pumpkin soup in the fridge in a covered container. It will last for about 4 days. You can also freeze the soup for 2 to 3 months. Then just warm the soup on the stove in a pot and enjoy!
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES:
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
CREAMY ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP RECIPE (VEGAN)
- 600 grams orange Hokkaido pumpkin (red kuri squash), cut into cubes, (=approx. 1 kg whole pumpkin)
- 100 grams yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram , (or thyme, oregano)
- 500-600 ml vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut the top of the pumpkin and then carefully halve the pumpkin*. Hallow out all the seeds using a spoon. Slice the pumpkin, cut into cubes, and place them onto the baking pan.
- Peel the yellow onion and cut it into quarters. Peel 3 cloves of garlic. Place cut onion and peeled garlic to the pan with pumpkin and drizzle with olive oil. Season it all with black pepper and marjoram. Toss everything until it's all coated.
- Roast for about 35 minutes, until the pumpkin is soft**.
- Remove the pan from the oven and put the roasted pumpkin, onion, and garlic into a blender (if using a plastic blender, let it cool slightly). Add vegetable broth, lemon juice, sea salt, and nutritional yeast. Blend until it’s smooth and creamy. If needed, add more vegetable broth or boiled water. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if necessary.
- Pour the soup into a pot, bring to boil, and simmer for about 5 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition FactsServing: 1 bowl / Calories: 287kcal / Total Fat: 14,4g / Saturated Fat: 2,1g / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 567mg / Total Carbohydrate: 36,4g / Fiber: 7,1g / Sugar: 14,9g / Protein: 6,7g / Vitamin D: 0mcg / Calcium: 116mg / Iron: 3mg / Potassium: 216mg