This Pumpkin Bread is a perfect fall treat. It’s moist, soft, spicy, and super easy to make. You’ll love this delicious classic dessert in the vegan version.
EASY VEGAN PUMPKIN BREAD:
I love baking with pumpkin. It always adds moisture, softness, pumpkin flavor, and beautiful yellow color to the baked good.
This quick pumpkin bread, packed with pumpkin spice flavors, is a simple fall recipe. It may seem basic but it’s so delicious, and I’m here for it. It’s the best pumpkin bread I’ve ever had. I always enjoy a slice with a cup of coffee while watching the autumn rain run down the window.
It is one of those recipes you shouldn’t miss to make in Fall!
THIS BANANA BREAD IS:
- easy to make
- done without mixer
- loaded with autumn spiced flavors
- perfect fall recipe
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN PUMPKIN BREAD:
You need the following ingredients to make this Vegan Pumpkin Bread:
- Flax egg – For egg substitutes, we are using flax-egg by combining ground flaxseeds with water. Make sure to let it sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- Vegan buttermilk – Make super easy vegan buttermilk by combining almond milk with apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice). Use any plant milk you have. Just keep in mind, some plant milk (such as soy milk) can thicken, so you may need to add more of it.
- Light brown sugar – Adds a bit of caramel flavor.
- Pumpkin puree – I’m using homemade pumpkin puree (from boiled Hokkaido pumpkin). You can substitute for canned pumpkin, but it can differ in consistency (moisture), so you may need to add a bit of milk if too thick or more flour if too wet.
- Sunflower oil – Oil adds moisture to the bread. You can use any vegetable oil, neutral in flavor, instead.
- All-purpose flour – Makes the bread super soft. You can use whole wheat flour instead, but it will change the taste and the texture of the pumpkin bread. You can also use half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour for better results.
- Baking powder and baking soda – Leavening agents that help the bread rise. For activating the baking soda, we’re using apple cider vinegar.
- Sea salt – helps to bring out all those natural flavors.
- Pumpkin spice mix – It wouldn’t be pumpkin bread without the fall spice flavors. Read below how I make my homemade pumpkin spice mix.
- Ground cinnamon – For more cinnamon flavor. You can substitute for a more pumpkin spice mix.
Equipment you need:
- loaf pan – I used a 25cm loaf pan (about 10 inches)
- parchment paper
- 2 small bowls – for flax-egg and vegan buttermilk
- a large bowl
- hand whisk
- sifter (optional) – for sifting the flour to make the pumpkin bread fluffier
This pumpkin bread is delicious as it is, but if you feel a little extra, you can add:
- chocolate chips/chunks
- roasted pecans or any nuts
- pumpkin seeds
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PUMPKIN SPICE MIX:
Making homemade pumpkin spice is easy. You’ll need to combine the following ingredients:
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PUMPKIN BREAD:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Vegan Pumpkin Bread is easy and comes with 6 simple steps:
1. Step: Preheat oven and prepare the pan
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a loaf pan (I use a 25cm/10in loaf pan) with a little bit of oil. You can use sunflower oil; however, I think coconut oil or vegan butter works the best. Then line the pan with a strip of parchment paper on the longer side (you can secure the parchment paper on the sides of the loaf pan with binder paper clips). It will prevent pumpkin bread from sticking to the pan.
2. Step: Make a flax egg
Make the flax egg by combining a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 2 tablespoons of water. Make sure to let it sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Step: Make vegan buttermilk
Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) to unsweetened almond milk. Mix well. Set aside.
4. Step: Make the batter
Make sure to accurately measure all of the ingredients to avoid your bread to be different than mine.
In a large bowl, combine light brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and sunflower oil. Mix well with a hand whisk. Add flax egg and vegan buttermilk and mix again. Next, add all-purpose flour (to avoid lumps, sift the flour through a sifter), baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt, pumpkin spice mix, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan (make sure to put all the batter) and evenly spread it to the side with a spatula.
5. Step: Bake the pumpkin bread
Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick, inserted into the middle, comes out clean. Otherwise, bake for 5 – 10 minutes longer because all ovens vary.
6. Step: Cool completely
Make sure to let your pumpkin bread cool completely before serving. If your loaf is still warm, it may be harder to cut.
WHAT TO EAT WITH PUMPKIN BREAD?
- nut butter or peanut butter (PB is always my favorite!)
- vegan butter
- vegan Nutella
- vegan cream cheese
- date caramel sauce
HOW TO STORE PUMPKIN BREAD:
Store your pumpkin loaf in a covered container (it will help to keep the moisture) at room temperature.
HOW TO FREEZE PUMPKIN BREAD:
Place sliced pumpkin loaf in a container or zip-lock plastic bag and store it in the freezer. Then just let the bread thaw before eating.
HOW LONG DOES PUMPKIN BREAD LAST?
The pumpkin bread will last up to 4 days at room temperature and up to 3 months in the freezer.
If you want to enjoy your pumpkin bread during the whole week, store it in the fridge.
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES:
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
VEGAN PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE (EASY)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, (=6 g)
- 2 tablespoons water, (=30 ml)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, (=40 ml)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar*, (=15 ml)
- 120 grams light brown sugar
- 200 grams pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, (=40 g) + extra for greasing
- 220 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine light brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and sunflower oil. Mix well with a hand whisk. Add flax egg and vegan buttermilk and mix again. Next, sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt, pumpkin spice mix, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Make sure to let your pumpkin bread cool completely before serving.