Vegan Gingerbread Sheet Cake topped with Molasses Buttercream Frosting. This cake is a perfect dessert for the Holidays. It is spicy, warm, soft, and simple to make.
VEGAN GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE WITH MOLASSES FROSTING
Gingerbread flavor is always associated with Christmas. Gingerbread cookies are the standard, but this Gingerbread Sheet Cake is something special to offer.
The gingerbread sponge is rich, spicy, moist, and fluffy. It is a simple sponge; you won’t need any special ingredients.
The cake is good as it is if you don’t feel like making the frosting. I like to sometimes dust icing sugar over the top instead of the frosting. That’s how I remember Gingerbread cake from my childhood. However, I wanted to make something more festive this time. So, I’ve made this mellowly sweet Molasses Frosting.
The Molasses Buttercream Frosting is super easy to make. You will only need 3 ingredients to make it. It has just the right amount of sweetness.
There is nothing better than to make this Gingerbread Cake for Christmas. Nobody will even notice it is vegan!
THIS GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE IS:
- so delicious
- perfect Christmas cake
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE VEGAN GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE WITH MOLASSES BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
You need the following ingredients to make this Gingerbread Sheet Cake With Molasses Frosting:
- Brown sugar – adds mild caramel flavor.
- Sunflower oil – Oil is added for moisture. Use any vegetable oil neutral in flavor.
- Unsulphured molasses – Molasses adds the authentic gingerbread flavor and mellow sweetness. Molasses is also a rich source of iron, magnesium, or vitamin B6. If you don’t want to use molasses, you can substitute for maple syrup, date syrup, or caramel sauce.
- Apple sauce – adds moisture to the cake without adding any flavor. You can substitute for plant-based yogurt.
- Unsweetened almond milk – Almond milk with apple cider vinegar create vegan buttermilk.
- Apple cider vinegar – The acidity of vinegar helps to activate baking soda. You can use lemon juice instead.
- All-purpose flour – Makes the cake extra soft.
- Cocoa powder – The recipe calls only for 6 grams of cocoa powder to add a slightly dark brown color to the cake.
- Gingerbread spice mix – For warm and spicy flavor.
- Baking powder and baking soda – Leavening agents that help the gingerbread cake rise. For activating the baking soda, we’re using apple cider vinegar.
- Sea salt – helps to bring out all those flavors.
- Vegan butter – Use vegan butter that has around 80% fat. Don’t forget to let it soften in a room temperature before making the frosting.
- Icing sugar – is used in the Molasses Buttercream Frosting.
Equipment you need:
- Square cake pan – 23×23 cm/9×9 in. This cake is thinner; therefore, I don’t recommend using a larger pan.
- Parchment paper
- 2x mixing bowl
- Medium-size bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Offset Spatula
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE WITH MOLASSES FROSTING:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Gingerbread Cake is simple and comes with 7 following steps:
1. Step: Preheat the oven and prepare your baking pan
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 23x23cm/9x9in square pan with a little bit of vegan butter or oil. Then line the pan with a strip of parchment paper (you can secure the parchment paper on the sides of the pan with binder paper clips). It will prevent the coffee cake from sticking to the pan.
2. Step: Make vegan buttermilk
Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) to unsweetened almond milk. Mix well. Set aside.
3. Step: Make the batter
Make sure you accurately measure all the ingredients.
In a mixing bowl, beat together with a hand mixer or whisk brown sugar, sunflower oil, molasses, and apple sauce for about 1 minute. Add vegan buttermilk and mix again until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, gingerbread spice mix, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.
Sift the flour mixture into the large bowl with the wet ingredients. Use a whisk to mix the batter until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
4. Step: Bake in the oven
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread to the sides.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Otherwise, bake for 2-5 minutes longer.
5. Step: Cool the cake completely
After the cake is baked, make sure to let it cool completely before frosting. If the cake is still warm, the frosting will melt.
You can make the gingerbread sponge a day ahead of time.
6. Step: Make molasses buttercream frosting
Add soft butter and molasses in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) until completely smooth. Sift half of the icing sugar, mix until combine. Sift the rest of the icing sugar and beat until soft, light, and super fluffy. It can take up to 2-3 minutes.
7. Step: Frost the cake
Spread the molasses frosting all over the cooled cake using an offset spatula.
Cut into 9 squares and serve.
You can top the cake with crushed gingerbread cookies or sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
CAN I USE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR INSTEAD OF ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR?
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour, but it will change the taste and the texture of the Gingerbread Cake. It will add a slightly nutty flavor. I recommend sticking to the all-purpose flour.
HOW TO STORE VEGAN GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE?
An unfrosted cake (the sponge) can be stored covered at room temperature or in the fridge. You can make the gingerbread sponge a day in advance before frosting.
The frosted cake should be store covered in a fridge. It will help to keep the moisture.
HOW LONG DOES GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE LAST?
The frosted cake will last about 4 days in a fridge. Unfrosted will last about 3 days at room temperature and about 5 days in the refrigerator.
You can also store the gingerbread sponge in the freezer for about 2 months.
CHRISTMAS RECIPES TO CHECK OUT:
FOR MORE VEGAN DESSERT RECIPES, CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
VEGAN GINGERBREAD SHEET CAKE WITH MOLASSES BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
For the gingerbread cake:
- 100 ml (=1 cup and 1 tbsp) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, (or lemon juice)
- 80 g brown sugar
- 27 g (=2 tbsp) sunflower oil*, + extra for greasing
- 20 g (=1 tbsp) unsulphured molasses
- 31 g (=2 tbsp) apple sauce, unsweetened
- 120 g (=1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 6 g (=1 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp gingerbread spice mix
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
For the molasses buttercream frosting:
- 100 g (=7 tbsp) vegan butter, soft
- 26 g (=1 tbsp and 1 tsp) unsulphured molasses
- 65 g (=2/3 cup) icing sugar
Make the gingerbread cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 23x23cm/9x9in square pan with a little bit of oil or vegan butter. Then line the pan with a strip of parchment paper.
- To make vegan buttermilk, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) to unsweetened almond milk. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together with a hand mixer or whisk brown sugar, sunflower oil, molasses, and apple sauce for about 1 minute. Add vegan buttermilk and mix again until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, gingerbread spice mix, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Sift the flour mixture into the large bowl with the wet ingredients and use a whisk to mix the batter until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it to the sides.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Otherwise, bake for 2-5 minutes longer.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting:
- Add soft butter and molasses in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) until completely smooth. Sift half of the icing sugar, beat until combine. Sift the rest of the icing sugar and beat until soft and fluffy. It can take 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the molasses frosting all over the cooled cake using an offset spatula.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve.