This Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl is thick, healthy, and packed with protein. It has a rich chocolatey flavor and creamy consistency. It is perfect as a quick breakfast or whenever you fancy something sweet.
CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE BOWL WITH PROTEIN POWDER:
You will need 6 ingredients and 5 minutes to make this delicious chocolate protein smoothie bowl that tastes like chocolate cake batter! Yes, it is that good.
Smoothie bowls are a great way to start the day, especially because they can be a source of fiber, omega 3, protein, iron, and more (like this one). They are also refreshing, and this chocolate protein smoothie bowl will surely make you full until the next meal.
I always choose smoothie bowl over runny smoothie – the thick, creamy consistency and the fact that you can add anything you desire on the top is a win for me! And they look so pretty! But of course, if you prefer runny smoothies, you can always add more liquid and enjoy it that way.
Over all the smoothies I’ve tried, this one is my favorite. I’ve been making it probably since I became vegan (and tweaking it to this perfection along the way). I usually make it multiple times a week, and I am always excited to have a bowl for breakfast or lunch when I am busy. I can’t get enough!
THIS CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SMOOTHIE BOWL IS:
- naturally sweetened
- done in a few minutes
- perfect breakfast recipe
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SMOOTHIE BOWL:
You need the following ingredients to make this Vegan Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl:
- Frozen bananas – I like to use a combination of both frozen and fresh bananas because it creates perfect consistency. However, for more simplicity, the recipe calls for frozen bananas.
- Unsweetened almond milk – Almond milk add a nice nutty flavor but use any plant milk you have. I sometimes use only cold water, and it works just fine.
- Ground flaxseed or flaxseed meal – These are amazing in smoothies or oatmeal. It thickens up the smoothie even more because it absorbs the liquids, and they are a source of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. You can substitute for chia seeds.
- Vegan protein powder – Due to bananas, the smoothie is sweet enough. Therefore, I would recommend using unsweetened protein powder. I like to use pea protein because it is neutral in flavor. Using high-quality protein powder is always the best.
- Cocoa powder – This antioxidant superfood, rich in iron and magnesium, adds a rich chocolatey flavor to the smoothie. Use unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe.
- Carob powder – Another superfood, but unlikely cocoa powder it is naturally sweeter. It adds extra flavor to the smoothie. And it has many health benefits. You can substitute for maca powder or more cocoa if you don’t have carob powder.
- Favorite toppings – Read my favorite smoothie bowl toppings below.
Equipment you need:
- Blender – For a perfectly smooth and creamy consistency, use a high-speed blender. It is always better to use a high-speed blender when using frozen bananas, so they blend completely and smoothly. Food-processor should work as well.
This smoothie is great as it is, but there are some ingredients you can add to make it even better:
- Vegan yogurt – Yogurt adds extra creaminess.
- Natural peanut butter – Peanut butter makes everything better, am I right?
- Ground coffee – This will boost the chocolate flavor. I love to use ground coffee beans in any recipe, which includes chocolate such as brownies or chocolate cookies.
- Quick oats – Make the smoothie even thicker and filling.
- Baby spinach – Adding a handful of baby spinach to the chocolate smoothie is a great way to eat the greens. Plus, it won’t affect the taste or the color too much (due to the rich color and flavor of cocoa powder).
SMOOTHIE BOWL TOPPINGS
The thing about smoothie bowls is that you can add a bunch of toppings on top. Be creative and use what you have on hand.
These are my favorite smoothie bowl toppings:
- Granola – For crunch.
- Chia seeds – For more of those omega-3 fatty acids.
- Hemp seeds – Great basically on everything. You can never go wrong with hemp seeds.
- Goji berries – I know many people don’t like them, but I love them.
- Cocoa nibs – It’s my new addiction.
- Shredded coconut or coconut flakes/chips – If you feel extra, use toasted coconut.
- Peanut or almond butter – My must-have on smoothie bowls.
- Fresh fruit – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SMOOTHIE BOWL:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl is easy and comes with 3 simple steps:
1. Step: Freeze the bananas the day before
Slice your peel bananas and put them into a zip-lock plastic bag or covered container. Then place into the freezer. They should last up to 4 months.
Put your bananas into the freezer at least the night before making the smoothie, so they freeze entirely.
2. Step: Add the ingredients to the blender
To the high-speed blender, add sliced frozen bananas, unsweetened almond milk, ground flaxseeds, vegan protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, and carob powder.
3. Step: Blend into a creamy smoothie
Blend on low until it starts to combine. Scrape down the sides. Then blend again – now you can add more power – and blend until smooth and creamy. If the consistency is too thick, add a little bit of plant milk or water.
Transfer to a bowl (make sure to scrape it out all!).
Add your favorite toppings. I like to use granola, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cocoa nibs, and peanut butter.
Enjoy a bowl of delicious chocolate smoothie!
CAN I MAKE A SMOOTHIE BOWL THE NIGHT BEFORE AND STORE IT IN FRIDGE?
Yes! You can make the Chocolate Protein Smoothie the night before and store it in a fridge in a covered container (like a mason jar). It will stay fresh until the next day.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Tofu Scramble (Vegan Scrambled Eggs)
- The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SMOOTHIE BOWL (VEGAN)
- 140 g (=approx. 1 large banana) frozen bananas
- 150 ml (=2/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 6 g (=2 tsp) ground flaxseed
- 30 g (=approx. 2 tbsp) vegan protein powder*
- 15 g (=2 tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 g carob powder, (optional)
- 30 g (=2 tbsp) vegan yogurt
- 17 g (=3 tbsp) quick oats
- 10 g (=2 tsp) natural peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp ground coffee
- a handful baby spinach
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- goji berries
- cocoa nibs
- shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- peanut butter or almond butter
- fresh fruit - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
- To the high-speed blender, add sliced frozen bananas, unsweetened almond milk, ground flaxseed, vegan protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, and carob powder.
- Blend on low until it starts to combine. Scrape down the sides. Then blend again – now you can add more power – and blend until smooth and creamy. If the consistency is too thick, add a little bit of plant milk or water.
- Transfer to a bowl and your favorite toppings.
Nutrition FactsServing: 1 bowl / Calories: 354kcal / Total Fat: 6,5g / Saturated Fat: 1,8g / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 409mg / Total Carbohydrate: 52,2g / Fiber: 11,3g / Sugar: 22,3g / Protein: 29,8g / Vitamin D: 1mcg / Calcium: 290mg / Iron: 4mg / Potassium: 916mg